Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Thanks for the bruised knees, I'll take my free beer now...

I'm back from the 3.5 miles of nonsense known as the Warrior Dash (I mean nonsense in the kindest sense of the word). This year was quite fun. The course was significantly harder, 10% longer, and the conditions were much worse, however I had some great friends with me, and a sweet house in the Poconos to relax in, so who can complain? I do hope next year the organizers aren't so, shall we say, aggressive, in their construction of the courses obstacles. Some were iffy, others were just flat out unsafe. I think the workers doing on-site repairs, and the collection of people who broke their ankles (and the poor dude who snapped his leg) would agree with me. All that said, if there's one of these in your area, get some friends together, put on some crappy clothes and jog around in some mud for the afternoon. Even if you're hating the race as its going on, your timing chip says FREE BEER right on it, so it's all good.

I greatly appreciate all the interest and feedback I have received so far. My buddy Gene asked if I'd be keeping a mileage log (consider it done), and just because of his outstanding suggestion, I won't be posting any pictures of blistered feet (well, I probably will, but I'll give fair warning). I've also been asked about my diet. Believe me, after today's unbelievably depressing grocery one, this will be the topic of more than one post. I've also gotten questions on running gear. My advice, get yourself to a local running store. Those people know their stuff, they'll take a video of your running stride, and get you the perfect gear. Maybe it costs $10 more, but that's what service will do for you. Anyone in the Northern/Central NJ area I can't recommend the Westfield Running Company high enough. Great people, great service.

Week 1 Miles Log: 12
Fundraising Check In: $417.40
Fundraising Goal: $2620.00

That's all for now. I'll be back later this week, and I believe there will be two guest blogs over the next six or seven days.

Matt
twitter.com/mstendardi

No comments:

Post a Comment