Monday, June 27, 2011

Guest Blog - Marathon Parter in Crime

Hi everyone – This is my first blog post as Matt’s friend who is (trying to) complete the marathon with him. The first thing I’ll do to keep you interested is tell you that, at times, Matt has referred to me as ‘the dumbest smart person I know.’ I may not dispel that idea in my guest blog posts.
Here is a brief history of our friendship. I’ll preface by saying there will be no Rocky/Apollo-esque embrace at the race’s end. I will need a wheelchair, a body-sized foil bag, and some fruit. Those will come after my hand gesture to the adoring crowd. Keep reading for more on that.
THE HISTORY:
1) Circa 1992: First met by being in the same Boy Scout troop. Didn’t like each other. Not sure what changed that. A combo of when I realized that his sense of humor is hilarious, or his seeing my dad’s sense of humor (who was known to drag late-sleepers out of their tents, sleeping bag and all), or us realizing there is a mutual interest in hockey.
2) Circa 1994-1999: An absurd amount of hockey watching. “Top shelf where mama hides the cookies” is the best hockey play-by-play phrase ever. Almost got stitches due to a wrestling match that ended with my head meeting a ping pong table.
3) Circa 1997-1998: A lot of hockey at this bush-league rink called ‘Spinners.’ It could be the name of a Gentleman’s Club.
4) Circa 1998: Shouting match with Matt over a carpool mix-up for a town fair. Shortly thereafter, reconciliation and discussion of how to get dates with the girls working at Wegmans.
5) Circa 1998-2000?: Many trips to the Stendardi vacation spot, Lake of Bays’ Lumina Resort, in Ontario, Canada. I still have and wear the resort t-shirt, and yes it’s old enough there are some irremovable pit stains. I withhold any apology for that.
6) Circa fall 2000: Visited Matt at Lycoming. Introduced to Yuengling before it was a national beer. Delicious. Thank you, Central PA.
7) Circa 2005: Matt visits me in Madison, WI. Highlights include Brat-Fest and chugging a “Fishbowl” at Wando’s….the type of place people go after last call.
8) Circa 2007: Visited Matt. Met or re-met some of the Lyco crew such as Gene, Dave and Trevor. Obviously good people. Introduction to Espresso vodka.
9) 2009: Visited Matt during a huge road trip. Viewed the third period--at Hooters after a round of golf--of Game 7 of Washington-Pittsburgh. Worst Game 7 ever.
10) Early 2011: Matt calls about the Marathon. I figure why not. It would be nice to cross it off the bucket list and if its thug sports fans don’t rob you, Philly is a nice place to visit in the fall.
11) Late 2011: If/when I cross the finish line, I will hold up my hand with the #1 symbol. I will be equating it to winning the Superbowl no matter how many people just beat me.

Add it to the register of reasons I am the ‘dumbest smart person’ Matt knows. More to follow…Andy G.

No comments:

Post a Comment