Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Belated Father's Day, Did You Know?, and Links...

When I was growing up, Father's Day was a day that I knew I had to say something special to my dad in the morning, sign a card, have steak for dinner, and act excited while my dad opened something my mom bought (until I got a job, then I had to pay her back). After I left for school, I started to realize the importance of thanking my parents for everything they have done. Now that I've been out of the house for quite awhile, and don't see my parents that often, I see the "parental holidays" as something I really get excited about. They are the days I work the hardest to think of good gifts, and look forward to our Sunday phone conversations. This year, I got to take my dad on his first trip to the new Yankee Stadium. We got there nice early, hit monument park, and took in batting practice. Seeing how excited he was to be there made me even happier than I am to receive gifts (and I love getting free stuff). We had a great day, and a great family weekend overall...even though I decided while playing Apples-To-Apples I was going to pick whatever card would drive my dad the craziest.

I got some pretty interesting add-on facts from the people at the NJ Share Network today. Did you know that:
-40.3% of US residents over the age of 18 are registered organ donors
-That is a 9.7% increase over the previous year
-Approximately 32% of NJ residents over 18 are registered organ donors (step your game up New Jersey)
-Want to make sure you are registered? Click here.

To be totally honest, it's beyond me why you wouldn't register. If you don't think it makes a big difference, spend your next eight minutes watching this. Make sure you have some tissues.

Here's some links to lighten things up a bit:

-From today's I Didn't Need To Know That department...tisk tisk Mrs. Brady

-Don't tease us Floyd. Speaking on behalf of boxing fans, we need this.

-As a Sabres fan, I was quite excited about what the did in this trade and the draft

-Bet you didn't know Matthew McConaughey and Renee Zellweger were in this little number. I haven't bothered reading the reviews, but my money's on 'It Sucks'.

-This is why you don't let your grandma play flip cup.

That's all for now. I should have something satyrical and light-hearted tomorrow evening.

-Matt
twitter.com/mstendardi

No comments:

Post a Comment