Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Cost Of Clerical Disorganization

If you asked me a month ago, "How do you think that week before you leave for vacation will go?", my response would have been very simple, "Not good". For some reason, the week before I leave for my families annual trip up north is always a comedy of errors (well at least a string of errors, most aren't all that funny). Work usually gets busier than normal, not so much from a business being great, but lots of paperwork to shuffle through; and everything in my personal life feels like its put on some sort of rushed clock. This particular week has had an extra dose of annoyance due to the fact I misplaced my boating license, and due to requirement changes, had to completely redue the course and test. Therefore, instead of working out, catching up (or getting ahead on work), and preparing for vacation, I spent the last two nights an hour north of my place taking a boating safety course. Honestly, if one more thing goes askew this week, I may be headed for a Jessie Spano level breakdown.

All that said, I like to look for silver linings, and after my frustrations with this current week dissipate, I will look at this boating safety course as one of the most hilariously ridiculous things I've ever had to attend. Let me hit you all with some highlights:

-For starters, let's just say the instructors weren't exactly educational savants. I hesistate to give them any grief, because they were after all volunteers, however, I'd suggest they not constantly throw their arms in the air and say "What's up with that?" after every example picture of an unsafe boating practice.

-One thing that became abundandly clear in this class, is that adults make absolutely horrible students. I should already known this after trying to teach my parents how to use a wireless printer, but now it is fully engrained. Even more annoying than inanely ridiculous questions, were the middle aged folks who felt the need to raise their hand and offer an additional point "for the benefit of the class". Last I checked, you went to one of these courses because you don't actually have a boating license, which automatically makes you not an expert. Please put your hand down and be quiet...for the benefit of the class.

-The annoying little cousin to the class know it all, is the person who has a joke for every single point made in the class. I get it, believe me, nobody loves more attention and enjoyes horsing around more than I do. That said, more often than not, I hope I know what settings are appropriate for it, and a four hour class of 60 people is not that setting. If your funny enough that a room of 60 people have to hear your hilarious material, you should be a stand up comedian. I've been to enough open mic nights (as a member of the crowd) to know that most people are horrendous at stand up comedy. The four people at this class were no exception (especially the dude that repeated the same joke five time, "now that guy shouldn't be allowed to drive a bicycle"...ha ha ha, please shut up). Quick note-I was very much this annoying little cousin in high school. To my former teachers, I'm so sorry. This is nearly a tearful apology.

-The last considerable point of contention (and may be a little bit of a stuck up one) is that apparently adults have completely forgotten what appropriate class attire in. I'm not saying that you should dress like you're going to court, or a job interview, but doesn't the fact that the word "class" is in the title of what you're attending, imply you should wear sleeves? One guy was even in violation of my rules for proper gym attire (while looking like he hadn't seen a gym since the time of the Saved By The Bell reference I had).

-I'll depart on one quick humorous note of personal embarrassment. At the beginning of the first class, the instructor did a quick survey of the classes experience. When he asked "has anyone had a boating license or safety certificate before?", I was the only person who raised my hand...which left the entire class thinking I had it revoked for a DUI. Consider personal embarrassment an added cost to the inconvenience of my disorganization.

That's all for today. I'll be back tomorrow with a training update and some links. Hopefully there will be one or two guest blogs that get put up during my vacation.

Take care,

Matt
twitter.com/mstendardi

2 comments:

  1. With regard to the classroom attire point, I've noticed in my CLE's that the attire of the individual is inversely-related to their experience/bank. Most recent grads wear suits to CLEs, even at Saturday classes. One guy, who is a big enough name that everyone was surprised he hadn't sent someone in his place, looked like a mix between Bill Belicheck and Tron from Chappelle's Show. My take on classroom attire is you should wear something that you could be somewhat active in but wouldn't be ashamed to be seen in in a bar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is bringing back awful flashbacks to my last photography class. Everything: the know-it-all, the jokester, the attire (in my case, half the people in my class looked like they were wearing pajamas which is NOT a cute sight on 40-somethings). Spot. on.

    ReplyDelete