Monday, July 11, 2011

Wedding Weekends, Bad Dancing & Worse Workouts

Sometimes when you're on a roll, you're on a roll. Upon returning from the holiday weekend in Ottawa, the work week was a bit of a struggle. However, this weekend was another great one, and hopefully I can carry that momentum through the week and into what should be another great weekend. I had the pleasure of attending a long time family friends wedding this past Saturday. My sister and mom were there as well, so it was a good weekend with the fam, to go along with two nights of an open bar (after Ottawa though, I enforced Moderation Matt, one of my alter egos, and played DD both nights). I tried my best to get a solid workout in, however between a scaled down hotel fitness center, and an old lady taking an hour to do something I call the "ass out power walk" on the only working treadmill, it was a mediocre workout at best (way too hot to run outside for those wondering). I haven't been to many weddings recently (which will change come the fall when I have a three in four weekend stretch), and I had kinda forgotten how great they are for not just a good time, but unintentional comedy. While this wedding lacked the 'uncomfortably bad speech that everyone is afraid to talk about', it had a fantastic wedding band, which means some fantastically bad white people dancing (I'm in that group, don't worry). As the night progressed, and the guests trips to the bar became more frequent, one thing became apparent, the only thing better than 'middle aged white people dancing' is 'hammered middle aged white people dancing'.

Today I headed back to the gym for what was supposed to be a hard workout. However, after days off Thursday, Friday and Sunday, I just didn't have it. I didn't feel like getting off the couch, and the entire ride to the gym all I could think was, "this is gonna suck, I gotta pee, and white people are really terrible dancers". It didn't help that I had eaten like garbage for three straight days, and, as I found out halfway through the workout, was kind of under-hydrated. They say food is fuel, and I stupidly went out with a somewhat contaminated tank, and got what I deserved (better now than when training really kicks up...lesson learned). So, after a crappy workout, and somewhat frightening dizzy spell, I made a somewhat late trip to the grocery store to stock up on some quality food for the rest of the week. On that note, there is no place that has a wilder collection of people than a grocery store at 10:00pm. You have no idea what kind of people you'll find there (and that includes employees. I worked at a grocery store back in the day, and one of the night cashiers was having an affair with her step father...for reals). This particular trip was highlighted by a 40-some woman in her pajamas saying "OH YEAH" after seeing something she was going to put in her cart (I had to leave the aisle because I was laughing too hard).

I'll be back tomorrow, for hopefully a much better report.

Matt
twitter.com/mstendardi

2 comments:

  1. wait, wait, I must know...WHAT was she putting in her cart?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha...It was in the cereal and snack isle. What killed me was the delight when she got, what I think were Corn Pops

    ReplyDelete