Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Long Weekend = Long Recovery, and quick thoughts

As stated in my last entry, I went up to Ottawa for a nice little four day weekend. By nice little weekend, I mean the first three days resembled an episode of the Travel Channel show Three Sheets. Throw in tons of red t-shirts, a quick view of the royal couple, a few well timed naps, and some much needed Booster Juice, you have yourself quite a whirlwind 72 hours. It wrapped up at my friend Heather's unbelievably peaceful cottage for some relaxation on a lake, and post dinner tea, while listening to old records. As I told my buddy JP on the ride home Monday, I don't think I could have pieced together a better weekend with better people (although six people asked me various annoying Jersey Shore questions, so I guess there is always room for improvement). One nice, and unexpected, detail of the trip, was that it didn't really break up my training too much. I was due for a rest day or two, as well as some cross-training, so fortunately I was able to squeeze in a round of tennis as well as my first water-ski run of the year (which is a major workout).

All that fun though, equalled being relatively exhausted since Monday morning. So exhausted that I had to take a nap in a McDonalds parking lot on the ride home, a nap once I got home, went to bed before 11, and a nap after work today. Hopefully tomorrow, I'll be nothing if not well rested.

The jump back into training went pretty well. Was able to bang out a few miles, along with some light lifting. On the downside, neither of the three good looking girls that work the front desk were there today. Instead I got the jacked dude with the mohawk who always looks mad that he's not a personal trainer. He doesn't really do anything other than wear a shirt that's two sizes too small, grunt at members, and text while he scans you in. Unfortunately he's probably texting one or more of the cute girls that I'd prefer were working the desk.

Quick thoughts:
-The big news of the day was the Casey Anthony verdict. Guilty or not, its a pathetic statement on society that this woman stands to massively profit off the death of her child.
-For everyone's benefit, a couple of the Kardashians decided to chime in. I wonder if they were this shocked when OJ ran free (their birth father defended him, for those that didn't know).
-I was put through about 5 or 6 minutes of random questions at the border on the way home. Some of which were just ridiculous. Customs agents should have a "shot clock" or 120 seconds when questioning their own citizens...don't give a stupid answer, then WELCOME HOME!
-Canada was a much cheaper destination before the US Dollar went in the toilet. For real, beware on your next trip.

I hope everybody had a fun and safe 4th of July. Thanks to all the troops that continue to fight for our freedoms.

Be back tomorrow,

Matt
twitter.com/mstendardi

No comments:

Post a Comment