Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Mother Nature's Tantrum, More Parents Stuff, & An Uncomfortable Steam/Sauna

First and foremost, sorry for the delay between posts. Between moving into a new place, and a New Jersey hurricane, I basically did not have home internet for a couple weeks. Considering I avoid trips to the office at almost all costs, showing up to write a blog would probably be professionally frowned upon. Anyhow, I'm back online and if anything, the hurricane helped me keep on a pretty good running schedule. It's amazing how willing you are to hit the gym when it is the only place that you can get a hot shower. Last week wound up being my first 30 mile week (33 miles to be exact, with a long run of 10.5). This week I'm going for another 30, but with a long run of 13. Now for how on schedule the running has been, work has been making everything else go in the exact opposite direction. I drive around for work, and when half the roads are flooded, that makes it considerably difficult. With the rain today, the roads flooded again making it seem like I was in a live action version of the Oregon Trail, fording a river. As far as the damage to where I live, it was pretty limited. Power was out for about 6 days, ruining the contents of the fridge, but other than that, we were in pretty good shape. I picked up some wisdom though on how to handle these situations in the future. I can't control the weather, what happens as a result of the weather, but I can control what information I pass along to my mom and dad. For the first few days, I received multiple calls/texts a day asking if the power was on (it wasn't), and when it was coming back on (had no idea...we'll touch on that in a second). It was almost like my parents were getting back at me for childhood road-trips when my sister and I would constantly ask, "are we there yet?". Overall I wasn't too annoyed by the whole power outage, except for the mayor of Morristown making daily guarantees it would be back on. When a road salesman has had it with your b.s., you are officially doing a terrible job. So after two weeks in Morristown, I'll have my ear out for the next round of mayoral candidates (you've got some time Tim Dougherty...pick your game up).

I've got plenty of stuff to write about (way too much for one blog) over the next week or so. Expect almost daily posts hitting all sorts of different topics.

I'll leave you on this little note though, which was easily as uncomfortable as I've been in a long time. As any reader of this blog knows, I enjoy poking fun at the eclectic mix of patrons at my gym. Today, after a 6.5 mile run, I went to the stretching mat to do a post run stretch and ab workout. about halfway through a middle aged guy got on the mat and did some sort of yoga workout (not weird at all, just a precursor). After the time on the mat, I hit the steam room and sauna for a bit (feels great after a long run and really helps your muscles loosen up). After 15 minutes in the steam room, I jumped over to the sauna, and a minute later the yoga guy from the mat came in. He was fully dressed, and started stretching in the middle of the room (kinda odd). He then removed his shirt and was doing some of the yoga poses (getting more odd). This was followed by a complete strip down, a new round of stretches, then plopping his sweaty naked backside on the bench and saying, "Hi, how are ya?" (what the hell?). Good times at the New York Sports Club and hopefully more frequent good times here on this site.

Hope everyone had a good long weekend, and I'll be back tomorrow,
Matt
twitter.com/mstendardi

No comments:

Post a Comment