Monday, September 26, 2011

The Hydration Paradox, Dumb Friends & Random Thoughts

According to an internet Hydration Calculater (yes, apparently such a thing exists) I should be drinking just about 120oz. of water every day. That's roughly 7 1/2 bottles from the time I wake up, to the time I close my eyes. Now I know in that total I should include overall fluid intake, however since coffee actually dehydrates you, I actually need to be drinking more like 9 bottles of water, iced tea, vitamin water or gatorade each and every day. Between the amount of time it takes to actually drink that much fluid, and the amount of time it takes to have 34 bathroom breaks per day I probably won't have too much time to train, let alone do the job that helps me foot the bill for my gym membership. In the past month I have been considerably more conscious of drinking plenty of water. On the plus side, I'm more hydrated, losing weight and overall feel better when I workout. The flip side of that is I always have to pee...like, can't run more than 5 or 6 miles without thinking I'm 20 seconds away from massive embarrassment. So, in addition to training my legs and lungs, looks like I better work on training my bladder too (or maybe just wear black shorts).

In one of my first blogs I stated I was going to do some "Aaron Karo style ruminations". After this blog, I was talking to a friend and he said, "dude, I enjoyed the last blog, but you sort of ripped off Aaron Karo". Well, considering I said that's what I'm doing, not making any money, and Mr. Karo has never heard of me, nor will ever read this, I don't think it is that egregious of an offense. After further thought, I decided to take it as a compliment...and start finding smarter friends.

Here's some random thoughts to peruse:

-The only thing that looks more awkward than an uncoordinated girl trying to keep up in a zumba class is an uncoordinated guy trying to keep up in a zumba class.

-Based on the trailers for Real Steel, I'm going to assume that there isn't another Wolverine movie due for a couple years and Hugh Jackman really needed a paycheck.

-"Matthew, I got a new car" - Grandma
"Oh yeah? What'd you get" - Matt
"A Ford something" - Grandma
"A Focus, Fusion or something else?" - Matt
"Yeah, it's black" - Grandma
Well then...glad we got that cleared up
(for additional laughter, all Grandma quotes are to be thought of in a thick Long Island accent)

-I love this Red Sox collapse so much I want to kiss and hold it. I may even buy it breakfast the next morning.

-How.Bout.Dem.Bills!!!

-Apparently Summer's Eve (killer company slogan by the way) is a major sponsor for MTV's Real World franchise. You would think if they were going for accurate sponsorships they would have signed on Valtrex
***Sidenote-Many comedians have already beat to death how cheerful those people are in herpes commercials. Forget them, what is with the joyful partners of those people? I feel like that is some major false advertisement. Moral of the story...if you go home and have to tell your wife or girlfriend you have herpes, don't expect a hug and a camera crew. Well maybe a camera crew, but only if Cops is filming in your area.

-Lastly, this week will be my last week as a member of New York Sports Club. Nothing against my old gym, but Lifetime Fitness is nicer and closer to my new place. I'll miss the open windows of NYSC that let me observe all the goofy zumba and cardio kickboxing classes. I'll also miss the lady who sings on the treadmill, and the dude who works out in jean shorts (he also has a shark tooth necklace). I won't miss the grumpy dude at the front desk, but hopefully he can finally land a date with one of the cute girls that has the same job (or finally land that elusive personal trainer position). Overall though, it was a great gym and a great company. I'm excited about the new gym, as it is easy the nicest one I have ever been to, let alone been a member of. Let's just hope the restroom is 30 seconds or less from the treadmills.

That's all for now,

Matt
twitter.com/mstendardi

ps - If you enjoyed this, email/tweet/facebook a link out to your friends. More readers=more potential donors to the goal I am oh so close to reaching (less that $700 to go).

4 comments:

  1. A comment from Matt's marathon-running partner, Andy:
    The guy in the jean shorts and shark-tooth necklace at your old gym would fit in great here in Brazil. In this place, it's still cool to have a 'frosted tips' hair-do. If you want to bring some transitive property logic into this discussion, I can fairly say that A-Rod looks like a Brazilian and probably knows that guy from NYSC.
    ...more updates and/or a blog entry to come from Sao Paulo later this week (where people where bright yellow 'PERSONAL TRAINER' shirts in the parks but have no clue what their shirts say).

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I meant that prior post, with the assumption that frosted tips was ever a cool hair-do. That, in and of itself, is debatable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha...looking forward to it buddy. Don't make fun of them though, Brazilians are a tough bunch

    ReplyDelete
  4. i ran the calculator. 155 ounces, BAM!

    ReplyDelete