Monday, August 15, 2011

Genetic Quirks, Training Update, Donations Update

Over the years, I've become familiar with the two following questions: "Why'd you do that?" & "Why'd you say that?". Fortunately its not usually for anything too bad, just a few eyebrow raising moments/comments. Sometimes, I'll even hear this from family members, but as I often tell my parents, "Hey, it's your genetics". Thinking more about these situations, I realized my family has plenty of these little situations themselves. Here's some generational snippets for you.
I had the following conversation with my grandmother a few months ago:
"Hey Grandma...what's happening?" - Me
"Oh, nothing, just ready for Dancing with the Stars. Do you watch it?" - Grandma
"Nope, never seen it." - Me
"I like the football guy (Hines Ward)" - Grandma
"Cool, I don't watch the show though" - Me
"They've got some girl from Playboy on there (Kendra Wilkinson)" - Grandma
"Oh, well that's cool" - Me
"She's a tramp" - Grandma

I called her a few weeks ago, and got this:
"Hey Grandma" - Me
"Hey Matthew, what's cookin'" - Grandma
"Not much, what about you" - Me
"I'm soaking my feet in epsom salts" - Grandma

So even two generations back, my family members have been quite direct. So that covers the verbal part of my research. As for the actions, my lovely sister had herself a moment the other weekend. Before heading out to a BBQ, we decided to go to the gym. She was working out on the machine next to the treadmill I was on, and when she was done, she wiped the machine down (as you should). After making eye contact, she proceeded to put the sweaty wipe in the cup-holder of my treadmill, then go about her business (in fairness she did throw it away at the end of my run). My parents have plenty of these examples, however they've taken a beating in this blog lately, and apparently gets the audio version from my sister, so for now they get a pass (for now mom and dad, don't get used to it).

In my previous post, I discussed how I was on the shelf for a few days of training due to a muscle pull. I followed instructions, and on Saturday starting working myself back in slowly. Saturday was a hilly three mile run, Sunday was off, and today was a pretty flat 5 miles. The leg feels pretty good, so it'll be another five miles tomorrow, just a few Wednesday, then a long run (10ish miles) on Friday after work. This weekend is the move, so unfortunately that'll keep me from running, but certainly make me plenty exhausted.

On the donations front, they have pretty much stalled out. I'll think of another incentive, but whatever you guys can do would be very much appreciated. Once again, every penny of every single dollar donated goes to directly to research. We're almost half way there, with just about three months to go. Thanks to everyone who has supported the cause so far. For those interested, you can DONATE HERE.

That's all for now, but healthy and running, means more posting. Maybe I'll even call my parents to see if they can inspire anymore embarrassing family material.

Matt
twitter.com/mstendardi

No comments:

Post a Comment