Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Diving In Head First, Recovery TV & Gym Reflections

So even though my body clock is all discombobulated, I have tons of work to catch up on, and my apartment needs a serious cleaning (more on this in my next blog), I've jumped right back into my training. When I returned Monday, I intended to bang out a long run, however I took a nap immediately after work. By nap, I mean went to bed at 6:00pm (woke up at 9:00, had water, used the facilities, tried to figure out if it was am or pm, then went back to sleep for another 9 hours). So my schedule got a little truncated this week, but so far there's been no ill effects. I was able to let out a solid 8 mile run at an 8:48 pace. Today I took off from running, but had a solid lift session (despite frequent distractions...more to come on this too), then got in a 10 mile bike ride. Tomorrow's another run day (although a short one with hills...followed by a swim), Friday is an off day, then Saturday I get to pay for a $20 guest pass at my sisters gym so I can get in a long run and relax by the pool afterward (for a one time guest pass, I'm certainly hoping there's complimentary pool side massages and smoothies...hoping, but not holding my breath).

One pleasant surprise you get upon returning from vacation (thanks to modern technology), is a full DVR of TV to catch up on. While this certainly gave me plenty to watch while relaxing after the gym, it doesn't say much about my taste that the first show I put on was the newest Real World/Road Rules Challenge (and don't think if Jersey Shore had premiered last week, that it wouldn't have been first...sorry Curb Your Enthusiasm, forgive me Larry David). So, no matter how my next few workouts go, at least I can feel better by watching Gordon Ramsey yell at people for a few hours (pretty legendarily collection of crappy cooks on Hells Kitchen by the way).

A 10 day break gave me a fairly fresh look at some goofy things at my gym. Here's a few:
-Nothing will distract guys from a workout more than a yoga class finishing up (guilty as charged).

-If my gym doesn't allow members under 14, why do they still have the urinal so low it makes you feel like you're peeing on your feet.

-Three different guys had the same superman tattoo today (two on the bicep, one on the calf). If three people in one place have the same anything (other than cell phones or iPods) doesn't that automatically make it cliche?

-My new favorite person at the gym looks like Kenny Powers dressed as Andre Agassi circa 1991. I'm not making fun of this guy, right? I have to be laughing with him...

-Alright guys, wear whatever crappy shirts you want, show your nipples, and flex in the mirror. But please, stop having loud cell phone conversations in the gym. I give up on the earlier stuff, but I'm holding my ground on this one. (Ladies, I can't hear whatever your texting, so no worries on your part).

Hope everyone closes out there week on a high note,

Matt
twitter.com/mstendardi

No comments:

Post a Comment