Friday, November 25, 2011

The Aftermath - Part 2

Hopefully throughout the process of training for, and running the marathon, I made it painfully obvious that I was raising money for a charity that is very important to my family. I feel that it is important to express my gratitude to all donors in how this effort panned out (though it still isn't over...donation page will be open until Dec. 1). I couldn't be more touched, and proud of all my friends and family that helped contribute over $3,000 to organ donation research. Whether you donated $5 or over $100, believe me, you helped drastically improve, if not save, someone's life. As I look over the list of donors, I'm amazed at the amount of people I barely speak to, don't really know, or know are struggling financially, yet still donated to this cause. Over the 4-1/2 hours it took to run 26.2 miles this past Sunday, I thought about this quite a bit. I still haven't figured out how, but I will find a way to individually thank all of you (in as personal a way as I can). I thank you, my family thanks you, and whether they know families that receive organ donations thank you as well. This effort was more important than the marathon itself, and because of all of your generosity, was also more successful.

As I said in my previous post, many people have been asking, "when's the next one". While I'm not sure whether I'll do another marathon, and therefore can't answer that question, I do happen to know what's next. As a somewhat quirky way to celebrate my 30th birthday, I will (along with a handful of close friends) be participating in the Tough Mudder. The course looks brutal (probably more grueling than the marathon), but if I don't have these types of events to look forward to, I spend exponentially more time on the couch than the treadmill, and while I say I put on "winter weight", I actually just get fat. Because I've got another event on deck, I'll be jumping back in the gym next week, and I'll also continue to peck away at these blog posts. Considering the events in the Tough Mudder, there will be more of a blend of cardio and weight training, and considering I don't like lifting, hopefully more entertaining posts.

To wrap up the two part Aftermath, here's some random thoughts that popped up from pre-race to recovery:

-My family came to watch the race. It had been a long time since they've been to Philly, so my dad ordered a TripTik from AAA, printed a MapQuest, and also happens to have a Garmin in the car. Say what you will about the older generation, but they are nothing if not prepared.

-My mom took over 150 pictures in 24 hours down in Philadelphia. Including quite a few at the Liberty Bell. Because she wanted a bunch of different pictures of the family in front of the bell, we have every possibly combination of family members with the historic monument, yet no clear picture of the crack itself. Good times...

-For ladies, a port-a-potty with no toilet paper is like eating a burrito without access to napkins.

-For 48 hours after running a marathon, you want to make it clear to everyone what you just accomplished. Not for the accolades, but to explain why you are walking the way you are.

-I've never hated living on the top floor of my building more than I did Sunday when I got home (only 3 floors, but no elevator...stairs sucked bad).

-The marathon diet did lots of good things for me, however it ruined my normal rest stop combo on rides home (doritos, slim jims, root beer and a coffee).

-When I arrived home, I was very excited that my parents didn't have any technological tasks they needed completed, however they picked a hell of a time to ask to move around the patio furniture. (fear not...it took a day, but apparently the homepage needs to be changed from google to yahoo, so it looks like I'll be busy for the next 26 seconds).

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Enjoy your families, the weekend, and travel safe.

Matt
twitter.com/mstendardi

No comments:

Post a Comment