Friday, October 28, 2011

Final Stretch, Katy Perry Sucks, & I Almost Peed My Pants

Three weeks from Sunday I am going to wake up early, have a banana and a bottle of water, then spend four-ish hours trying to accomplish the hardest physical thing I have ever done in my life. This past week the reality has really set in, as well as some nervousness. The simple fact is, other than sleeping, there really isn't anything I like doing for four hours at a time (try to keep the inquiries clean, but the answer is still no...four hours is too long for just about anything). My training runs will max out pretty soon at about three hours, and I'm just going to have to count on adrenaline, my buddy Andy, and a hopefully raucous crowd to keep me moving for the last hour. As of now, I'm feeling alright overall, my legs get a little sore, but at least I don't have to stop my runs to pee anymore.

As I recently mentioned, I joined a new gym. I like just about everything about this gym more than my old one, except they run the same music videos on a frequent loop. The only artist that I can tell has more than one video in the look is Katy Perry, although you wouldn't be able to tell from listening to the songs. I find it hard to believe that when Kings Of Leon, Coldplay, Foo Fighters, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foster The People, TI, Wiz Khalifa, Jay-Z, and even Beyonce are constantly putting out new music, that somehow Katy Perry happens to crap out FIVE #1 HITS ON 1 ALBUM! She somehow tied Michael Jackson for #1 his of a single album. Let's quickly break this down:
Michael Jackson's #1 hits of Bad: Dirty Diana, Man In The Mirror, I Just Can't Stop Loving You, Bad, & The Way You Make Me Feel
Katy Perry's #1 hits of Teenage Dream: Teenage Dream, Firework, E.T., Last Friday Night, California Gurls
Not exactly a ringing endorsement for modern day music. If you want to dive into song depth/quality, four of KP's #1s are about either looking like or acting like a slut, and as far as I can tell ET is essentially a song about an orgasm...good times. And for the life of me I can't tell the difference in what she's trying to say between Last Friday Night and Waking Up In Vegas (I'll give you a hint though...I'm pretty sure they're both about getting loaded and hooking up). There's a silver lining in all this though, and that is that I don't have a teenage daughter.

Moving off my pop culture soap box, allow me to take a paragraph to embarrass myself. Two weeks ago marked the time where I gave up all alcohol intake until the marathon is over. That said, I decided to go out with a bang. The "final Sunday", I went to the Giants/Bills game with a bunch of friends (Bills loss-sucked...9am tailgate-awesome), then met some people at a bar to watch the late games, then closed out the evening having a couple with my buddy Trevor. After the game, I stopped home to change into clothes that didn't smell like hot dogs and beer. The only clean pair of jeans were a pair of semi nice button fly jeans I paid way too much for, and don't wear because button flys are dumb and don't provide easy urinal access. Unfortunately the only clean pair of boxer briefs I had were the athletic stretch kind, which I later discovered don't have what calls call "the access flap". All this, combined with a few beers/jamesons, led to me being slightly intoxicated and super confused/panicked when I went to pee at the Famished Frog (awesome spot for Sunday fundays in Morristown). I had to dance around until the stall was available because I saw no possible way for me to handle my functions at the urinal given my wardrobe choices, which led to more than one odd look. And if there's one thing I'd like to avoid in public bathrooms, it's odd looks.

That's all for today, be back soon, and have a great/safe Halloween weekend everyone,

Matt
twitter.com/mstendardi

1 comment:

  1. Dammit, I wrote a really insightful comment about how i mistook katie perry for zooie deschanel and how its ironic that i can't figure out how 'the new girl' is still on tv, and it didn't post and i don't feel like retyping it. so now you'll never know just how funny and insightful i was in that moment.

    ReplyDelete