Friday, October 7, 2011

Bumps In The Road, Pseudo-Celebrity Sightings, Buckling Down

Seven Sundays from this upcoming one (or 51 days), I'll be waking up very early, drinking water and nervously stretching as my buddy Andy and I get ready to run 26.2 miles around the city of Philadelphia. Over the past few months I've been building my endurance by running, lifting, running, then running some more. Unfortunately as the chronological finish line is approaching, my training has kind of hit a plateau. I was hoping by this point to be comfortably running 16 or so miles, but unfortunately every step after the 14 mark gets exponentially more uncomfortable. I know that on the day of the marathon that adrenaline will carry me for quite a bit, but I don't it'll handle the last 12 miles. To add on to that little quandary, I've sustained my second legitimate training injury, developing hip bursitis. It's more uncomfortable than debilitating, however it's going to require lots of ice, more rest than I'd prefer, and a trip to the doctor in the next couple weeks. In the mean time, I just gotta stretch out, it out and push through...and somehow try to go for a long run in Seattle tomorrow after flying cross country and attending my buddy Matt's bachelor party tonight. We'll see how that goes...

While at the car wash in Toms River, NJ, Wednesday I had a minor "not-as-much-as-they'd-like-to-think celebrity" sighting. As I pulled my car in behind a pimped out two door BMW, I thought the driver looked familiar. He was a big jacked dude, sleeved in tattoos, a borderline offensive amount of gel in his hair, shaking up a protein shake, and had "DO WORK" custom stitched into the back of his Nikes...all that said, I couldn't place who it was. As he paid, the cashier said, "you look really familiar", the guy got an ear-to-ear grin, and said, "Do you watch Jersey Shore? I'm Roger". For those who don't watch the show, that is the fake-boobied, chain smoking bikini model, J-Woww's boyfriend. I didn't talk to him at all, just had a little bit of an internal laugh (thankfully it was internal, 'cause that dude could kill me) at the apparent celebrity anyone attached to that show has attained. Then I became a little sad when I realized that whenever I get introduced to new people and they ask the annoying, "Do you ever see people from the Jersey Shore???" I apparently have to say "yes"...though I may stick with "ughh" and walk away.

Now that I'm in the home stretch of this marathon training, I've really got to buckle down. I'm settled into my new apartment, new gym, somewhat getting used to my new diet, and hopefully (after another weekend of travel) getting into a more regimented schedule. I have some friends in town next weekend (the 6 week mark), and after that no more alcohol (maybe a glass of wine if I'm at a nice dinner, but doubtful), no more bad food, more sleep, and a strict 6 day a week training schedule. And for people who enjoy these ramblings, significantly more posts, considering I won't be going out all too often.

That's all for now, stay tuned for some stories for what is sure to be a pretty wild weekend,

Matt
twitter.com/mstendardi

No comments:

Post a Comment